Sunday, December 19, 2010

The 7th Guest for iOS

I just recently found out that the The 7th Guest has been ported to the iOS platform last week. Of course I immediately downloaded it and found out it's mostly a faithful port of the 1993 classic game that was originally made for the PC.

There are some technical quirks that are explained in this review and it's missing three puzzles (including the infamous and incredibly difficult microscope puzzle) that were in the original game but its still fun to play. The animations play way too fast on my iPhone 4 so it appears Trilobyte didn't' account for the speed differences between the A4 and 486 processors but despite these flaws I'm throughly enjoying the game again.

During my research for this blog I found out that Graeme Devine (the co-creator of The 7th Guest and former id Software developer) has left Apple recently and went back to developing games again. I hope to see some good titles from him soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Great links to the review and the differences between the CD-ROM and iOS ports. I was surprised to be reminded of the $79.95 list price back in 1993. It was worth every penny!

I was a little disappointed to learn it's not a 100% complete copy of the game but after reading the reasons why the developers couldn't do it, it's understandable. I'm glad they found a way to keep the 3D animated cursors in the game. It was those wonderfully small details that helped sell the game for me.

I compared the Apple supplied screenshots with some screenshots I made with the original CD-ROM and was pleased to discover it's a visual match although the developers had to reduce the image size from 640 to 480 pixels wide because of the iPhone's older generation's screen resolution. If Trilobyte did a Retina Display version, it would be possible to play it in either landscape or portrait mode without sacrificing any detail. Like the original CD-ROM used for 1990s computer displays, it's letterboxed to accommodate the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPhone.

I plan to buy this essential game for my library but want to finish Riven first. I still use an iPhone 3G and 2nd Gen iPod Touch and was glad to hear they squashed the various bugs with the latest 7.1 update.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home