Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New iMac

After months of having to use a Windows based PC for my home computing needs due to my broken G5 I finally pulled the trigger and bought a shiny new iMac.

I waited so long since I knew iMac's were due for a refresh based on the relatively new Sandy Bridge processors from Intel. Sure enough Apple updated them earlier this month and with the previously unreleased Intel Z68 chipset.

I ended up getting the base 21.5" model from Amazon for $1139 with free shipping since it seemed to offer the best bang-for-the-buck based on the latest MacWorld review. According to their testing it even outperformed the top of the line 27" model from last year.

The first application I installed was the Steam client and my initial results from Left 4 Dead 2 have been simply outstanding. Playing the game at the native 1920 x 1080 resolution with all the graphical goodies turned on runs at a super silky smooth frame rate. I can't believe how much better that game looks on my iMac than when running on my old Pentium 4 Dell with the Nvidia Geforce 6800 GPU. Portal is next on my download list and you can bet I will get Portal 2 during the next Steam sale even though I already have that game for my Xbox 360.

Although I've only used it for about an hour I can tell that I will need to replace the mouse with something more ergonomic than the Magic Mouse. I don't know what it is about mice that Apple can't seem to get right. It's a bit too flat for my large hands and the middle scroll gesture doesn't quite work as well as a real scroll wheel.

It's amazing the number of cables that are reduced with an all-in-one system. I ended up ditching the wireless in favor of a hard wired Ethernet cable since I still have a 802.11 G network and LfD2 was taking too long to download. Upgrading to a N wireless router is next on my shopping list.

Dave wanted some unboxing pics but since Rob still refuses to open a FaceBook account, I'll need to setup something on Flicker later on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Good choice. I know what you mean about the mouse. My Mighty Mouse scroll wheel gets gunked up so I can never scroll in the down direction anymore. It drives me insane. I would've been a little worried that the ATI 6750M wouldn't be sufficient for FPS gaming but it sounds to be more than capable. You can have my old 500GB Time Capsule that was repaired by Apple if you want to pay for the shipping!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Yeah I debated about getting the $1500 model with the better graphics but decided against it due to the extra cost. Glad the base model performs so well.

Let me know how much shipping is and I'll send you a check for the Time Capsule.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home