Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Superman Returns: the late review!

Ok, so, did anyone actually blog Superman Returns? I didn't notice...

But I will now, late as this review may be! I know all the commentary from fans, casual moviegoers, critics etc., and it seems like most people were split on this movie. I am on the side of it being a good movie! I liked it, it was better than I hoped! Then again, I'm easily amused. However, I thought the storyline was good, the acting good and the effects good. Ok, they were awesome. Wow! That was one of my favorite movies!

Yes, I know I'm biased because I am a Superman fan, but a lot of comic and Chris Reeve Superman fans hated it. One, it didn't stick to the comic lore! Two, no one can replace Chris Reeve! The funny part is, those who like the comic lore don't like the Chris Reeve movies, for the break in the lore and those who liked those movies don't know the comic lore.

I liked all of them, minus movies 3 and 4 which do not exist in the real world. However, Returns was excellent! Good conflict, good plot, lots of drama, lots of action, great effects and good actors! And it was a clean movie to boot!

It was also uncanny how Routh (Supes/C.K.) was so close to the Reeve portrayal as well! Almost everyone gasped at how he also looked and sounded like Reeve when he first turned his head as he came back to the Daily Planet! Uncanny! I thought he did a great job as the new C.K./Superman!

They also had some of the best effects and transitions from human to animation I've seen! There are too many to blog about, but some of my favorite effects I saw were the Supes making the sonic booms, his landing and making a small crater on the new land, stopping the airplane on the baseball field and the bullet in his eye effects! There are more, but that's ok, I don't have to go into all of them as I thought all the effects were awesome!

Can little kids go see it? Maybe not 7 and under, but 10-ish is a good round number for it. Some of the violence may be a bit munch for the younger ones.

I recommend this movie and it's a must buy DVD for me!

Krudd

3 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

Great review Krudd. I think I'll catch this movie before it stops playing in the theater.

It's been years since I watched Superman III, although I didn't think it was that bad. My favorite part was Richard Prior getting busted for trying to use the Salami Technique.

http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/salami.asp

10:26 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

BTW, I never saw The Quest for Peace, nor do I ever want to!

10:27 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

A side note is that this movie takes place after Supes 2, and they are sorta treating the series as if 3 and 4 never happened.

I also have no desire to see the 4th movie after I wasn't into the 3rd one.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home