Sunday, January 13, 2008

Apple Enclosure Redesigns

Kruddler's recent comment on my Mac Pro post made me think -"just how often does Apple redesign their desktop cases?"

Because I've only been using Macs since the late 90s (Krudd has a much longer history with them) it seemed to me that Apple used to refresh their desktops on a regular basis. Well here's my own timeline to visualize the changes over the recent years.

I think you'll have to agree that Apple changed (at least cosmetically) their "El Capitan" enclosures pretty regularly. What I was trying to get across on my last post is that Apple could've at least introduced a small refresh-fill in the holes maybe? ;) I'm anticipating a complete redesign the next time they update their systems. Johnny has to already be coming up with something that's gonna blow us away.

1 Comments:

Blogger kruddler said...

You guys are funny. :)

Ok, so it seems like the El Cap design was "upgraded," but as you stated, it was mostly cosmetic. Sorry, I wasn't counting the minor color and plastics and such as changes to the design. I guess I could have been more specific.

In any case (a pun!), minus the cosmetics, it was approximately 5 years till the Omega model.

My prediction for a new case enclosure? If, a big if, there is going to be one soon, it will be this year. Since they just came out with the hardware upgrade last week, I'm going to say with a lot of uncertainty that they will not display a new case this MacWorld. I hope I'm wrong.

That being said, a realistic time is somewhere around August/September.

I would however not be surprised if, another big if, that's right, I like not making a definite decision, IF a new case design came out during this MacWorld. Even with the new upgrades recently announced, Apple in the past has done something like that before, making an announcement and then coming out with something right after! We have to remember to factor in the Jobs surprise maneuver. He's tricky that way!

Anyway, I won't be buying one soon, I'm waiting for the next design to come out! NO, I won't buy it right off the bat like I did the iMac last year if they announce a new model this MacWorld!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home