Friday, January 05, 2007

The Next Star Wars Experience

After playing with Mark's Wii last Christmas, I made an obvious conclusion that the Wiimote would make the perfect lightsaber for a new Star Wars game. Performing a quick search resulted in discovering that LucasArts is well aware of the unique properties of the Wii and has hinted at a next-gen game specifically for it. Awesome.

What I also learned is that LucasArts is developing a next-gen game for the XBox 360 and PS3 consoles right now. I guess if I went to E3 I would have known this. ;) Anyways, they released a tech demo titled Force Powers Pre-Vis which showcases a new technology called Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) that LucasArts licensed from a company based in Switzerland.

It's basically a volumetric approach to creating objects and digital sets instead of using the traditional method of textured polygonal shells. This allows developers to create more realistic ways to destruct objects and animate physical properties. You can see a Quicktime demo of DMM in action on Pixelux Entertainment's website found here.

9 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

Awesome demo. Can't wait for that and the future Wii product to come out. Kruddler and I were talking about that too. The Nintendo RemotePoint... I mean Wii Remote is just begging for a cool lightsaber battle.

5:57 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

I can't believe that demo vid! I first hit the castle vid, and thought, wow, that looks sooo cool! Then I hit the game demo and omg, that is the game to get now!! LOL!

I can't wait, but I bet something like that won't even make it till '08! Hopefully not! Thanks for the links!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

I had to watch the Star Wars video again and noticed that the Jedi at the end was a little cruel. Poor Stormtrooper was just minding his business when he was force pulled and throw about like a rag doll, all the time begging for his life. Then what does the evil Jedi do? He throws him directly in the the Tie Fighter explosion for a rather painful end to his life. Now is that the Jedi way?

10:21 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Who said he was a Jedi? Just because one fights Stormtrooper doesn't make one a good guy! Especially if it's post ep. 6! That was the Stormtrooper outfit which historically came about after the Jedi were wiped out during ep. 3, so it stands to reason that this should, should being the key word, be sometime after ep. 6.

In any case, it was just a demo and for another, when has Lucas kept the purity of the original Star Wars alive in recent history?

That aside, I loved it! Throw that trooper around! And if you need him to be part of your weapons fire, toss him at the nearest Tie Fighter if one is barreling down on you! It's self defense!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Well he had force powers, shot lightning bolts from his fingertips and carried a lightsaber. I think its obvious he was a Jedi or had Jedi training. Time to rename it Revenge of the Jedi.

9:27 AM  
Blogger kruddler said...

If it's part of the next gen, like after Jedi Academy, there were others with force powers, and they were Sith related. They also had some training, as the Sith had some secret way of not quite being extinct. Or, maybe seduced by the dark side, this would be Jedi has started his fall from grace!

Man, this is gonna be a great looking game with I hope a great storyline!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys, this is clear evidence of nothing less than torture. While pre-dating the Geneva convention, it must certainly be a violation of some type of inter-galactic treaty.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

How come we are all online and not playing WC3?

10:34 AM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Well, I just got home and wish I coulda joined you guys. :( I was able to post today because I found a spot where a free connection was possible at work! The bad news to that is that it's in front for everyone to see.

At least I was able to check my email and do a little browsing. :)

Lastly, Sith do not abide by any type of treaty! Nor does it seem wayward Jedi on the dark path...

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home