Saturday, December 02, 2006

Warcraft Woes

Last night I tried to christen my new FiOS installation with a hardy game of Warcraft III, but like the Titanic it sank on it's maiden voyage. Good thing Rob was able to correctly configure his router so we were able to play together. Not wanting to admit defeat, after our game I searched the web to see what was wrong with my router configuration. It turns out that I incorrectly configured the port forwarding rules, I should have configured the Source Port field to Any (I had previously configured it for 6112 as instructed by the Port Forward website). Once I did that everything started working again. Basically the source port field means accept any TCP packets coming from any port and direct them to the Warcraft 6112 port on my local computer.

This new Actiontec router is great but it also features much more advanced firewall capabilites than I was used to with my Linksys box. Well like Uncle Ben used to say, "With great power comes great responsibility." Now I'm ready for some Half Life 2 Deathmatch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home