Wednesday, August 22, 2007

BioShock

Funny thing, I was planning on blogging about the apparent dry spell of premium FPS titles for the PC market until Mark mentioned BioShock in his last post. I never heard of this game until now (admittedly I haven't been following the PC gaming scene, I'm still playing Half-Life 2 Deathmatch :-o).

The reviews look fantastic and after watching a video review on IGN, I can't wait to play the demo (Currently being downloaded via Steam).

Based on the Unreal 3.0 engine, the recommended system requirements look a little frightening: Dual Core, 512 MB video card, Advanced HD sound card... jeeze. At least I have 2GBs of RAM and XP SP-2. Really curious to know how my once high end system performs now. Looks like for the first time I'll have to throttle down the eye candy settings.

One other note: I was notified by the Widescreen Gaming Forum yesterday that apparently BioShock doesn't support true widescreen without cropping the top and bottom of the viewable image. Reportedly this is in direct contrast to a statement that a 2K programmer made in his company's forum. This is really a bummer and shouldn't happen in this day and age (they are a developer to the XBox 360 which is all about widescreen support) but hopefully they are listening to the vocal minority and a patch is in the pipeline.

So it looks like FPS PC gaming is coming back to life after all. Soon to follow: Crysis, Gears of War, Unreal Tournament and Half-Life Episode Two.

6 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Looks Like 2K took notice of the widescreen issue and are developing a fix for the PC. Cool.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Yeah isn't this game amazing looking? It's getting rave reviews and looks destined to be game of the year. I heard the water effects are incredible.

The recommend system specs are the reason why I'm getting the 360. I would have to spend at least $900 for a new motherboard, graphics card, memory and CPU in order to get my system to run this vs $350 for the 360. And that's even if it fits in my Dell XPS system. Its going to be even worse for Crysis.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Rob, that widescreen fix wasn't created by 2K but from a member of the Widescreen Gaming Forum. This wasn't unnoticed by 2K though, as they are working on the official patch for the PC and possibly the 360. They also want to reward the creator of the fix with a new Geforce 8800 card!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I didn't realize that patch was an unofficial development. That's even more impressive. I did notice today the article on 2K's home page of the offer for a GeForce 8800 card, nice!

Did you notice their quick responses to the two "controversies" with BioShock - the widescreen confusion and the SecuROM issues? Their attention to customer service seems really sharp and on top of things.

Oh and check out the BIOSHOCK: BREAKING THE MOLD PDF artbook here for some nice "making of" artwork.

11:33 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Well, Halo is different in that it's part 3 and based on Bungie and the past Halo's, it's like playing the Warcraft series, and Diablo from Blizzard. Sorry if I came across in a bad way.

In any case, congrats on your 360! I'm sure on your new HDTV it looks sweet.

I agree with Rob, your still mad at me for Unreal! Hey, I did buy that game! And liked it!

10:58 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Er, you're not your. Ooops!

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home