Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Memory Prices

Last weekend Mark mentioned that he upgraded his PowerMac (or was it his Dell?) to 3GBs of RAM because the prices had become so cheap. I looked it up today and sure enough, RAM prices have dropped dramatically since the last time I upgraded. Here's my purchase history from ZipZoomFly and what the price is today:


10/11/2004
1GB PC2-4200 Kingston RAM: $262.00

08/10/2005
1GB PC2-4200 Kingston RAM: $107.14

06/06/2007
1GB PC2-4200 Kingston RAM: $41.00

I hadn't planned on investing any more money into my HP because it still performs great and my next machine will be Mac based, but the prices seem too good to pass up. Might as well max out my workstation to 4GBs.

6 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

It was my Dell XPS that I upgraded. Vista runs smooth as butter now. The memory prices on the Mac are still high, more than twice the amount on my PC. Interesting that you can upgrade 1 DIMM at a time on your HP.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Ah the Dell! Microsoft should have a big sticker on their Vista boxes that says it "runs best" with 3GBs of RAM. ;)

Yeah for some reason I thought I had to install it in pairs. I guess a new feature of that particular Intel chipset was that you didn't have to anymore.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Some chipsets allow you to add memory one DIMM at a time but work best when added in pairs. Check your HP documentation if optimum performance is important to you.

10:46 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

You guys do know that you can put a "pc" ram chip in macs don't you? They aren't platform exclusive, only the names are...

11:24 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

So here's the official scoop regarding memory in pairs. Guess I worked in "non-optimal" conditions for ten months! ;)

The HP Workstation xw4200 has four memory sockets. The system supports industry-standard, 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs.

The system can support up to 4 GB of memory (1-GB DIMM in each socket). Although a single 128-MB DIMM configuration is possible (on XMM1 only), always install DIMMs in pairs for optimal dual-channel
operation.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Krud, I didn't mean to imply that there was such a thing as "Mac memory", but rather that my Power Mac G5 uses a different type of memory (DDR PC3200) that happens to cost more than the DDR2 PC2-4200 memory that my Dell uses.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home