Thursday, May 07, 2009

Myst for iPhone/iPod Touch

As you may have already read last week, Cyan has ported Myst for the iPhone/iPod Touch, a game first released for the Mac/PC in 1993. Because I'm a huge Myst fan I didn't hesitate to drop $5.99 for a copy. The game is a whopping 727 MB download from the Apple iTunes App store but my 32 GB Touch has plenty of room to spare.

It was Leo Laporte's pick of the week on the latest MacBreak Weekly along with his comment of "It's still too damn hard!" I've only played it for a few minutes but Myst is a perfect match for the touchscreen interface. I'm somewhat surprised that the reviews are so positive because there was always a vocal minority in years past that never understood it's popularity in comparison to FPS's like Doom.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

I heard about this last week (I think on MacRumors) and was meaning to get it. I just hit the Buy button! This will give me a chance to finally finish the game (hopefully).

12:28 PM  
Blogger Nivlaek said...

Saw your post for MYST. In order for someone to understand MYST, you must "suffer" the journey. People have no idea of the what lies in waiting. MYST leaves you wanting MORE and MORE.

The story behind MYST is also explained a bit more in the first MYST book. RIVEN, the 2nd in line for the MYST genre, will entice a person even more. DOOM is/was momentary gory fluff, while MYST is/was new, intriguing, and made you feel like you were there. It was and still is fabulous!

12:32 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Ok, I'm with Leo on this one. I find it very hard. I was also very excited to see than it came out for the iPhone and Touch, though. I liked the comment Leo ( or was it one of the others made on MacBreak Weekly?) made about the power of the idevices being equal to or better than the older machines!

I'm waiting for Marathon to be ported now! Or maybe the original Warcraft and Warcraft 2! Starcraft!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home