Sunday, April 18, 2010

iMac Hard Drive Upgrade

The stock 320GB HD on my 2007 iMac isn't cutting it anymore as I'm constantly deleting files in order to make room for newer things. I enjoy the simple all in one design of the iMac so I'm hesitant to just buy an external HD as an upgrade. So what about an internal drive?

I came across this video which demonstrates in detail how to upgrade the internal HD of a seemingly user unserviceable computer.

Am I crazy to consider this? Doing so seems akin to open heart surgery. The price difference isn't very much- around $100 for either an internal or external 1 TB drive but I would need to buy some special tools such as Torx screwdrivers and suction cups for an internal.

6 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

Wow, I would be terrified to do that! JK, I upgraded the hard drive on my iMac G3 a few years ago and it also involved some heart surgery. The trick is to give yourself lots of time. Take your time and lay out all the parts on a sheet like just like the guy in the video did. Sure you don't want to go bigger than 1TB?

8:06 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Almost forgot to mention that I find it odd that the glass is only held in by the memory slot on the bottom?

8:08 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

One last comment, I swear. Don't forget to check out the iFixit repair guides. I remember hearing about this on MacBreak Weekly. I'm pretty sure they have a nice hard drive replacement tutorial on your specific iMac model.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

OK I lied, I have another comment. Don't make the same mistake I did and go cheap with a replacement hard drive that made a lot of noise. Western Digital makes a line of drives that is whisper quiet. Other brands may too.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

No one should ever need more than 1TB. All kidding aside, you convinced me. I'll do it!

10:04 AM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Very cool!

And while you're at it, is there perhaps anyway to upgrade anything else? perhaps? Hey, as long as you have the hood open, might as well look!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home