Saturday, May 08, 2010

Jones Computer Network

Before TechTV and G4, there was the Jones Computer Network which debuted in 1994 as the "first 24-hour channel devoted to computers". There were a handful of interesting shows to watch such as Home Computing hosted by stand-up comedian Tim Testa but my favorite was Digital Gurus co-hosted by Photoshop expert Deke McClelland and the tech newbie, Lee Sherman.

Digital Gurus was the show where I saw Kai Krause demo KPT Bryce for the Mac and watched Apple showcase their QuickDraw 3D technology for the first time. I would give video links to these shows but JCN unfortunately no longer exists and I can't find archives anywhere on the net with the exception of a few Home Computing episodes.

I did find a nice archive video from a non JCN program called the Computer Chronicles hosted by Stewart Cheifet however. This particular episode features both a KPT Bryce demo as well as my beloved, but now defunct, Caligari trueSpace!

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

Great research Rob. Too bad there is no way to watch the old Digital Gurus show, I loved Lee, she was the "everyman" (or woman).

Whats up with Stewart though? He didn't give anybody much time for a demo and seemed disinterested in what was cutting edge tech back then.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

I emailed Jones.com about releasing their archived programming to the public but haven't (nor expect to) receive a response yet. Lee was funny but sometimes clueless when it came to technology. I still love her though. I wish she had more of a real website though.

Heh, Stewart ran his show like a Marine drill sargent. He mentioned doing a rehearsal in the Bryce/trueSpace episode so I figure he instructed the guests to be brief and to the point. Andy Inhatko wouldn't last 20 seconds on the Chronicles!

3:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home