Thursday, February 03, 2005

Half Life 2 Completed

I just finally finished Half Life 2! Overall it was one awesome game although I have to admit the ending left a little to be desired. If you haven't completed the game yet you will soon know what I mean. This game had it all, cutting edge graphics, great sound, incredible physics and the best feature of all... excellent level design. I can't wait to play the third chapter of this trilogy. Until then we can have fun with Garry's Mod and making our own Disneyland level using the SDK tools.

The one bug I encountered was a game crash whenever I tried to load my last quick saved game. I didn't know what caused it until I researched the error message on the www.steampowered.com website.

Once I read the FAQ I realized the source of my problem was addressed on point #11. Apparently exiting to Windows while the game is still playing could cause corruption on the game or on the saved games. This happened on my system because the scroll wheel on my mouse was set to go to the "Next window" when pressed. Ariannna used to play with me and she would accidently press the scroll wheel, thus exiting to Windows. Once this happened a few times Half Life 2 would crash everytime I loaded my last saved game. Previous saved games would also crash with the exception of one recent saved game but the problem was that it autosaved at the worst possible time... at a point where I was down to about 10 health. My next best playable saved level was several chapters behind so I wasn't looking forward to going back and redoing 2 weeks worth of gameplay. I eventually ended up playing the level where I had the 10 health. It turns out that there was some goodie filled crates nearby and so I restored my health to the point where I could get by to the next medic station.

The moral of this story is that I highly recommend you don't rely on the Quick Save feature and that you occasionally perform a regular save at least once per level. I have since changed the default mapping on my scroll wheel button to do nothing when pressed.

By the way, I attended both E3 demos Valve put together and nowhere did the final game contain the following screenshot from those presentations. I'm only mentioning this because I thought the Hydra would have been cool.


"Screenshot from early demo..."

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

After periodicaly checking up on your progress, I guess it's no surprise to see that you've already finished. I'm barely on Anticitizen One, BTW, and should be done in about a month. I've been giving myself a 30 minute time limit at no more than once per day, sometimes only once per week. :(

You now have to beat the 2 hour, 57 minute and 35 second time shown here!

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home