Tuesday, November 15, 2005

F.E.A.R. First Thoughts

I mentioned before that I ended up buying F.E.A.R. First Encounter Assault Recon based on Kruddler's recommendation. Although I don't personally care for games that use acronyms in their title (ex. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., ect..) this game really is worth the price. It's kind of a strange mix of the original Half Life Black Mesa bad guys mixed in with some creepy Ringu type girl scaring the beegezez out of you.

The graphics are Doom 3 in quality and the sounds are very well done. A shot gun sounds like shot gun should. What's really impressive is the A.I.. soldiers are crawling through pipes to get to you and going through alternative routes in order to kill you. Of course all this advanced technology sure gives my system a workout so I have to run it without AA and at 1024x768 in order to have all the eye candy turned on.

F.E.A.R. was developed my Monolith Productions, the same company that brought you AVP2, No One Lives Forever and Tron 2.0. I heard they ditched their old LithTech engine and came up with something brand new for this game.

The only negative so far is the fact that it ships on 6 CD-ROM's. Only the more expensive Director's Edition comes with the entire game on a single DVD-ROM. Half Life 2 did the same thing (I smell a conspiracy here!) so I guess it's their way of making more money. In any event F.E.A.R. is on sale this week at Best Buy for $42.00 so now is a good time to buy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home