Saturday, June 02, 2007

HDTV Coming Soon

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased my very first HDTV, the Samsung 52" 1080P LCD. Like I posted on my last blog I really wasn't looking to buy just yet because of the high cost of the model but Annel told me about a special no interest for 18 months deal Sears was having on any electronic purchase over $399. The only caveats were that the special financing ended today and that Sears was only offering $200 off the retail price of $3,999 so I figured I would try to price match another local store.

I ended up finding the best sale at Fry's for $3399 but it was still $400 more than what I could have bought it for on the internet. I wondered if Sears price matched internet prices so I checked their Price Matching Plus Policy online, and sure enough they will as long as it's from a local retail store (including shipping costs) plus they give you 10% of the difference. I checked Frys.com and lo and behold they had it on sale for $2,899 (plus $136 for shipping)! I immediately printed out the info and took it to my local Sears store.

You should have seen the salesman face when he looked at my printout and compared the price to the Sears price. After about a minute he said, "let me speak with my manager about this, I need his approval first" then walked away. I was gearing up for a fight but felt confident this would hold up (I read their price matching policy several times and had a copy in hand). The salesman came back five minutes later and said it was fine and the manager came by as well to approve the purchase. That extra 10% of the difference took an additional $90 off so I only had to pay about $2900 for a display that normally costs $4000 plus I have 18 months to pay it off. Unfortunately they didn't have it in stock so I have to pick it up next week which is OK since that gives me time to sell my old TV and buy a new stand.

Just for kicks I checked the Fry's online price when I came back home (that same night) and noticed the TV was out of stock and the price shot up to $3999!!! Perhaps it was a mistake on their end and people snatched up all the sets or it was just a good deal that only lasted for a few hours, either way I'm glad I printed it out when I did.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Wow! Great deal! Just need a 360 now for a GOW party. Surprised to hear that Sears hesitated to accommodate a fellow ex-family member.

5:17 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Awesome! I'll be back in town for a few days starting this Friday! I'll bring my 360 if I'm off Friday and spend the night playing on your new toy if you get it by then! Woot!

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home