Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Nvidia Demo Junkie

It's no secret that I've been a huge fan of Nvidia ever since I purchased a Canopus Spectra 2500 graphics card back in 1998. Based on the Riva TNT chipset, it was my preferred card of choice at a time when 3DFX ruled the gaming world with the Voodoo 2. But performance reasons aside, one reason why I stayed loyal with Nvidia over the years was because of their awesome demos.

After several years of enjoyment with my TNT card, Mark showed me the Chameleon demo on his brand new GeForce3 card and I was blown away. The lizard's modeling, texture and animation details looked like something straight out of Toy Story. It was obvious that Nvidia was a force to be reckoned with in the graphics industry. I soon upgraded to a GeForce3 Ti 200.

The next year Nvidia released their GeForce4 series and Dave ends up buying one. I could only look at a prerendered Wolfman video in envy as he was playing with a real time, volumetric fur enabled, 3D creation.

Later that same year the GeForce FX was released and Kruddler ends up buying one. Again, I could only imagine what the angered Vulcan looked like forging the metals of the earth with his fire - all in real time.

A few more years pass by and I finally decide to make a purchase into the GeForce7 series with a top-of-the-line 7800 GTX. One of the first things I did after installation was download all of the demos that I could never play before. The Luna demo blew me away in much the same way as the Chameleon did. The translucency and displacement mapping as well as the dark, mysterious atmosphere of the demo were simply stunning.

It wasn't long afterwards that the next generation, GeForce 8 series were released but I was surprised to find out that some of the 8 series demos played fine with only a few reservations on my card. It wasn't until yesterday though, that I noticed the Human Head demo. It's so realistic looking it's kind of scary. Make sure to check out the video here. It definitely makes my Luna character look like a cartoon. I wonder how long it'll be before games start looking like that?

Here's looking towards the future.

4 Comments:

Blogger kruddler said...

Woohoo! Technically we don't need to do another blog for today either as Rob's posting was after midnight! Rob FTW!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

LOL that's funny. Btw I'm typing this from my iPod. Apple FTW!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Valleyho said...

The face was creapy! That is too real!!!

8:16 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

I think the only reason there was any creepiness to the head was that you know there was no body that it was sitting on!

I really want one of these cards, but that means buying a Mac Pro...

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home