Monday, February 25, 2008

Buyers Remorse?

In case you didn't already see the news or read my last comment on the last Xbox HD DVD blog, Microsoft lowered the price of their Xbox 360 HD DVD player to $50 in an obvious attempt to liquidate their inventory. So far thats three price reductions since Microsoft first introduced the player back in November 2006 ($199 > $179 > $129 > $50).

They also updated their official Xbox 360 HD DVD web page today to reflect the fact they are discontinuing the device. The description is cleverly written in order to make it appear that the player is still a viable purchase. Since the majority of the eBay sellers that tried to dump the player within the last few months blatenly copied the old description verbatim, I wonder how many of the upcoming sellers will use the new text. What's funny is watching all the zero bids on anybody that priced their player for more than fifty bucks.

You may think that even with the new price, nobody in their right mind would still purchase it but one of my coworkers said he would buy along with some bargain basement HD DVD movies to go with it. I think that's a bit too hard core for me (he must be related to the 3D Realms employee). OK, I know I own one but I bought it at the time (for $179) when I thought the format war would last well into 2009. Plus I got a ton of free titles just for buying.

Heroes Season One = Free
Transformers = Free
Troy = Free
The Frighteners = Free
300 = Free
King Kong = Free
Babel = Free
TMNT = Free
Charley and the Chocolate Factory = Free
The Thing = Free
Seabiscuit = $17.99

You can see I only paid for one title and that was on sale at Circuit City. I'm also holding tight for some fire sales to see if I can pick up Planet Earth for cheap. That's right guys, I'm going down with the ship!

So do I have buyers remorse? No way, I love the quality of the movies, its far above what Verizon or the Xbox Marketplace can deliver and it will tide me over until a decent Blu-ray player hits the market for a reasonable price. My only regret is seeing NetFlix discontinue renting HD DVD's although this isn't scheduled to happen until later this year.

1 Comments:

Blogger kruddler said...

it's my policy not to give in to the mob mentality and suffer from buyers remorse. Always enjoy the technology you get for as long as you can because you will never catch up to the system!

Tech changes and/or becomes obsolete too fast for us to second guess our purchase and then not enjoy what we have. Is it a shame that things like a format war makes things obsolete as in this case? Sure it does, bit we still don't have to let that get us down and not enjoy the "toys" that we wanted!

So here here, cousin! Enjoy the player as long as possible and way to go on all the free movies you did manage to get for what you did pay! It was still a great deal and you did save a lot!

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home