Monday, August 18, 2008

SIGGRAPH 2008

Last week, Mark and I attended SIGGRAPH because it was held in Los Angeles this year and we scored some free Exhibit passes (always easy to get).

Monday night we attended the free Luxology Steampunk event at the beautifully restored Edison in downtown. It was a pretty fun night with plenty of tasty hors-d'oeuvres being served such as tuna skewers and beef sliders along with an open bar. We watched a presentation from the president of Luxology, Brad Peebler, who demonstrated snazzy new features (atmospherics, fur materials) that will be part of the next major release of modo. Even though other packages have had these features for years, I was pretty impressed with the speed and implementation of them into the Luxology workflow.

The next day we attended the main exhibition which had the typical vendors and booths, although this year fewer companies were offering printed brochures- maybe in an effort to be more "green". I also networked with some of the smaller studios more this year rather than watching the software demos as in years past. Mark seemed to be recuperating/resting at the various lounges throughout the day. The only negative I could think of is that there was no Hash booth with a demo to watch.

Overall I enjoyed myself although I don't have much of an interest to attend in the future unless I end up working in the 3D industry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

Not having Hash there was a disappointment but hanging out at the International lounge was fun. I learned how to make Singapore Crab soup!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home