Thursday, November 17, 2005

SIGGRAPH 2005

This blog was long overdue, but I just wanted to share some thoughts about our past visit to SIGGRAPH 2005 back in August. It was held at the L.A. Convention Center and showcased the latest computer graphics technologies.

For some reason I enjoy watching infomercials on TV and the demo of Hash Animation:Master was no different. I was entranced by how easy it was to create 3D objects and then animate them with a few clicks of the mouse. Rob was unimpressed by this and seemingly any demo that we saw. He claimed to have been tired.

Apple had some free training classes on their products so Rob and I joined the DVD Studio Pro one. A nice looking employee named Olga with a Swedish accent assisted us when we got in trouble and was suprisingly knowledgeable about the product. She gave me a few undocumented keyboard shortcuts that helped me catch up to the rest of the class. Usually at these computer shows these girls are hired solely for their looks but it appears that Apple actually trained them well or they really are true employees.

I have to admit the best product I seen at the show that impressed me the most was not a 3D modeling package or graphics demo but rather the gorgeous 30" Apple Cinema HD Display. It was the first time I seen it in real life and I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. I told Rob that is was beautiful but does anybody really need that many pixels? His answer was a short "Of course!".

Afterwards we walked several blocks downtown to catch a demo of Modo. Again Rob seemed unimpressed with the technology. Perhaps he was just upset that I got a free T-shirt that night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home