Thursday, November 09, 2006

NVIDIA GeForce 8800

With all my Gears of War excitement I must have missed the announcement that NVIDIA announced their next generation GPU and nForce products, called the GeForce 8800 and nForce 600 series.

I haven't done much research on these cards yet but various web reviews have benchmarked a single top of the line GeForce 8800 GTX just as fast as 2 ATI Radeon X1950's in CrossFire mode. These new cards are the first DirectX 10 compatible cards that will be part of Microsoft's Vista operating system. Unfortunately only the high end GTX and GTS models are available now with suggested retail prices of $599 and $449. Personally I still think the sweet spot for new video cards are at the $300 range so I plan to wait the less expensive options to come out before considering upgrading my "aging" GeForce 6800 GTO.

Also quietly announced were new ForceWare drivers that work with the entire GeForce family in addition to these new cards.

By the way, did anybody notice that NVIDIA is using a new font for their logo?

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Wow, next generation already. I haven't even got around to blogging about my 7800 GTX yet. But then again, it was June of 2005 when I bought it!

When you buy one Mark, make sure to let me know so I can check it out in person. I'm sure that fully functioning demos will be available by then rather than the Flash based videos found online now.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the driver update. The version numbers jumped from 91.47 to 97.02.

10:11 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Rob, you said it! Next gen already?! I didn't realize how old my 6800 was either!

If all happens the way I have foreseen, MacPro will be all I need as long as it can come with the power of the processor and graphics card! BootCamp using Vista for all next gen gaming!

And if the 360 looks like this now, I can't wait for what quad cores with the next next gen cards are gonna look like!

Next year will be something that's for sure! Now I'm sad about not having money for the next MacWorld!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home