Saturday, November 18, 2006

PS3 Thoughts

I recently was thinking about all the real-world and media hype surrounding this week's launch of the PS3 and wondered that all important question-what about the games? That is, after all, the primary reason why one would want one- watching HD movies being secondary.

Admittingly I haven't been following the console game industry for quite some time, but at first glance it seems the best games that showcase what the PS3 can do right now are Resistance: Fall of Man and Ridge Racer 7, both exclusive to the PlayStation 3.

Here are some screens courtesy of IGN showing them in action:

I think the graphics are pretty impressive but at the same time to be expected after a long six years since Sony's PS2 release. Games like Half-Life 2 on my PC with a GeForce 7800 card look no less impressive though and I'm sure games using Nvidia's next gen GeForce 8 cards with DirectX 10 will look even better.

I'm a little disappointed with the anti-aliasing quality of Ridge Racer however. Even though the PS3 is using Nvidia graphics technology, I expected to see no jaggies considering that the Sony PS2 had zero anti-aliasing features while Microsoft's XBox, which was released a year later, did. Hopefully that's an issue that game developers can finesse on their end rather than being based in hardware.

On a separate note, I felt Sony should have stuck to their guns with the "Boomerang" controller introduced in the prototypes. I thought the look of it was slick and futuristic but apparently hardcore gamers felt otherwise, prompting Sony to replace it with the more traditional (and boring) looking controller.

So while I have no strong feelings one way or another for the PS3 itself, I do like the commercials. Sure some of them (like the creepy baby) don't make sense but still cool none-the-less.

Watch them here at YouTube of course. They remind me of the Cornell Box which is a famous test in the 3D graphics community.

2 Comments:

Blogger kruddler said...

Well, if you haven't checked out X-Play reviews of games yet, they are usually pretty accurate. If you can get by the sarcastic duo, they do a good job saying what it lacks and what makes games bad. Usually. :)

So, with that said, only one game at launch is worth buying. That means I'm glad I can't buy the PS3 now! No money? No problem! LOL! I can do what I did with the 360! Yay for launch dates! :)

Stay tuned for next year and next gen games! In the meantime, GoW ftw!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Nice links and blog Rob. I actually like the creepy PS3 baby commercial. It was dark and reminded me fo Talking Tina from the Twilight Zone. People's comments regaring the video were pretty funny...

What it really means is, is that the PS3 has the power to possess small children, and dolls. Also, it can levitate off the ground

I also liked the Boomerang controller. I remember seeing that a long time ago and had forgotten about it until now.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home