Monday, January 29, 2007

Vista Eve

In just a few hours Microsoft will unleash it's latest consumer operating system Windows Vista, to U.S. customers. Although I'm much more looking forward to Leopard's pending release, let's admit it, if you want to play computer based games you have to run Windows and if you want to play future DirectX 10 based games you will have no choice but to run Vista.

What's really different about this version as opposed to previous ones is the ultra strict product activation feature. Although hackers have already circumvented the process, you won't be able to update your system with patches if you decide to follow the path of the dark side. With Windows being such a malware target, having a unpatched OS is not the smartest move to make so it's best to go legit and purchase your own legal copy.

To save money you can buy the upgrade versions providing you have a valid copy or CD of Windows XP or Windows 2000, but I've never been a fan of keeping old CD's around as you can never seem to find it when doing a fresh rebuild of your system. I much prefer full versions but at such high prices the most cost effective option is purchasing the OEM DVD. Stores like Newegg.com have OEM Windows Vista Home Premium for as low as $119.99. The only negative is that you have to provide support for yourself (can't call Microsoft), but when was the last time you needed to do that?

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

I was planning to simply purchase the upgrade version until I found out today that you can't perform a clean install with it. Nice job Microsoft.

Thanks for the OEM tip though. Did you read the ARS technica article about buying the OEM version of Vista? A few things to be aware of like having it tied to your motherboard but it still looks like the best option. I have to have a clean install!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Yeah Dave and I were talking about that same upgrade issue as well as the ARS technica article about the OEM restrictions. To me the 1 motherboard limit is the deal breaker. I need to do an updated blog that reflects this. Microsoft is messing up here.

On a lighter night it looks like you can do a clean install with the upgrade version, you just have to install XP first. I know it sounds strange and contradicting but I'll explain more in my blog.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Valleyho said...

I'm waiting for Leopard and my new Mac! By the time all the dusts settle Vista maybe ready for prime time. Too much confusion on hardware specs. Everything is going to change when DirectX 10 comes out as well as 64 bit. Not to mention waiting for programs and drivers to catch up. (Hey...what's with the new Google account?)

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home