Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Vista Revisted

I wish I had done better research on my last blog. I was basing most of the information on past Microsoft policies but I should have known that they changed all the rules when it came to Windows Vista.

As Dave and Rob pointed out from the Ars technica article, Buying OEM versions of Windows Vista: the facts, there are more negatives involved with OEM DVD's then lack of support. The biggest issue being that the OS is tied to the motherboard. You can swap out any other part without having to reactivate but once you upgrade your mobo, you have to purchase a new copy of Vista. To me this is the deal breaker. I don't like the idea of my expensive OS only lasting as long as one component in my PC.

Another negative with the OEM DVD is that you only get a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version, unlike the retail DVD's which ship with the 32-bit DVD and you can order the 64-bit one for a small fee (Vista Ultimate ships with both DVD's in the box). My next processor is definitely going to be 64-bit capable and providing that all my hardware components have 64-bit drivers I will most likely want to use this version as it contains more security features like Kernel Patch Protection then with the 32-bit version.

Everything isn't as rosy with the retail upgrade versions of Vista either. Another Ars article talks about the upgrade versions of Vista no longer will check for a qualifying CD of XP or Windows 2000 when trying to perform a clean install (installing Vista on a freshly formatted hard drive). There is a workaround, but it's not very elegant as it requires you to essentially install Vista twice on the same computer.

1) Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.

2) When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.

3) When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.

4) Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.

5) This time, type in your product key when prompted.

6) When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.

7) Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

So those are the negatives I've read about so far. Perhaps we will see even more when other people begin to upgrade. To me its a pick your poison proposition. Either fork over the $400 for the retail full version of Vista Ultimate (which contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, allows you to transfer your license to a new motherboard), use the OEM version (which limits you to either 32-bit or 64-bit, and one motherboard only), or go retail upgrade (which you can order with 64-bit for a small charge, has a poor clean install option and nullifies your right to use your XP license.

Perhaps its best summarized by someone who said, "at $400 for just another version of Windows, I rather pay $200 more and get a Mac Mini with a superior operating system".

'Nuff said.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

I spent a good part of last night searching for what you said about a clean install using XP and the Vista upgrade. I guess you meant just using the Vista upgrade DVD and installing twice, which is what I found also.

Well I have to admit that I had a strong urge to impulse purchase Vista during the initial launch. Now that that's subsided, I think I'll wait for 100% compatibility with the hardware and software that I use now. Maybe I'll even hope that Microsoft will eventually alter their EULA to better reflect the fact that not all users have criminal intents with their software? Nah, it'll never happen.

So you're already thinking of replacing your Dell with a 64-bit system? Or did you mean just upgrading the mobo and chip?

I personally can't wait for the day to jump ship and go all Mac, all the time. I've had it with Windows. ;)

9:45 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

No my Dell XPS is still going strong, but my thinking was that XP lasted 5 years so I will most likley upgrade my hardware before a successor to Vista comes out. I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home