Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wanted to see but not so much anymore...

Well, I had wanted to see The Golden Compass, but then someone from work told me a little about it and it made me go online and start looking up what the story was all about. Sad to say it's not good news.

Though sometimes it doesn't matter much when a writer is atheistic, it matters here. Philip Pullman did write this with the intent of showing that christianity is evil and facist. I later went to read the movie review on the Focus on the Family movie review partner, pluggedin online, which had this quote from a Newsweek writer:

Newsweek writer Devin Gordon noted, "While references to 'the church' are gone from the film, no one over four feet tall could mistake the Magisterium for anything but an oppressive theocracy." That notion is supported by church historian Dr. Quinn Fox, who observes, "The most telling aspect of His Dark Materials ... is that the Reformation never happened in the world of The Golden Compass. Indeed, Pullman's simplistically harsh view of the church and God posit a power-hungry, misanthropic institution out of control, and a detached, domineering God devoid of grace."

Needless to say, it is a movie I have little interest in seeing now, which saddens me as I like storytelling fantasy movies such as what this appears to be. Knowing that it is made with the intent of bashing christianity, I can't in good conscience pay money to see this movie anymore. I had seen so many trailers and was truly excited to see it when it came out, but now I'm just bummed. Hopefully it won't do well in theaters as the director, who I guess is also anti-christian from his statements, wants to make the other 2 books into sequels, no holds barred on the anti-christian messages with those movies.

Sad day :(

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

It doesn't look like it was too well reviewed anyways, nor did it meet any box office expectations.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home