Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's Official

So after a few days of rumors it's finally official, Toshiba will finally discontinue it's HD DVD format. It's funny that they were quick to say they have no plans to adopt Blu-ray and start making players. I guess they need a few weeks for the fresh wounds to heal.

This makes me wonder what's Microsoft going to do about this recent news. Surely they are going to have stop producing the HD DVD add on (I was surprised to read that only about 300,000 of these players were ever purchased, which is a drop in the bucket) and start making Blu-ray players, even though they seem to discount the need.

It seems like the only other remaining issues is when Universal, Paramount and Dreamworks Animation are going to make their official announcements pledging their support to camp Blu. It's been an interesting ride and I'm going to miss all the Digital Bits commentary on this now dead war.

4 Comments:

Blogger kruddler said...

Now I will admit that the war is mostly over! Mostly because some of those official announcements have to be made still and also because there will be small skirmishes these next days, maybe even months.

I'll Beleive it's completely over when there are no HD DVD machines left in the stores! Yes I'm odd that way. :-)

Now if only prices would just drop already! The war was good for one thing: it made prices fall on the BR side! Not that I really need to go buy one, but who wants to wait another year for price cuts!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Krudd, aren't you an official participant of Disney's Magical Blu-ray Tour? Can't you get a discount? ;)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

I agree with Krudd, Blu-ray prices need to drop. Not just the players but the discs as well. The future Panasonic model I'm waiting for is rumored to cost over $500!

6:23 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

I sure wish there was a tour! Ask my bro what the prices are at the studios. I'm too lazy to drive all the way to the studio after work in all that traffic!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home