Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mental Lapse in Judgement

After reading a comment last night to Krudd's latest WDW update, the first thing I thought was that it had to be spam or a virus link. I quickly deleted the comment but copied the link location to see if I can find anything about it in Google. The address was just some random letters ending in blogspot.com but nothing came up in the search. In a what was I thinking moment I copied the link into my browser's location bar and fired away thinking that because I was using Firefox, it would somehow not affect my system. Nope. The browser's window immediately auto expanded to fill the screen and a fake Windows virus scan started chugging away. I quickly killed my session but I knew it was too late. Symantec's online virus scanner told me I had the W32.Spybot.Worm.

Afterwards, I had to install Symantec AntiVirus and run a full system scan to get rid of it. I never installed an antivirus program before because I hated the memory overhead and other inconveniences like auto-updates and security notices when installing applications. I still feel as long as you update your OS and don't go to unknown, shady sites and accept or click on unknown links, you should be fine though. Moments like these will make me appreciate my future Mac purchase even more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

Rob, don't feel bad, I clicked on the link myself. I suspected malware as well based on the URL but curiosity got to me and I was surfing from my Mac so I was safe. As Krudd would say, Apple FTW!

BTW, I would never run Windows without AV protection. Even on my "old" Dell I'm running the latest version of Norton. Symantec has heard the complaints regarding poor resource management and supposedly have fixed it with their latest version.

6:40 AM  
Blogger kruddler said...

You sure caught the comment early! I was on last night and didn't see it. When was the comment made?

On another note, you guys posted this and the next blog AND comments really fast! They weren't there last night before I went to bed and now at work at 6 am BAM! there they are!

I'm only able to make my comments because of my IPhone. Apple FTW! Woot!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

It's a blog storm! Let's see how much new content we can pump out for this month.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home