Friday, June 13, 2008

The Ray Dream Experiment

The other day Rob gave me back a very old book I bought called The Ray Dream Handbook. It brought back some good memories of me trying out my first 3D model, using the castle tutorial.

I wanted to revisit it again using my more modern computers but I couldn't find the original Ray Dream Designer 4 installation CD so I ended up buying it on eBay for 99 cents. It was a Mac version but I figured I could run it on my G5 using Classic or at the very least on my iMac G3 when booting natively to OS 9.2.2.

Turns out I was wrong. It installed with no issue but would lock up when trying to load. It would freeze so bad I had to restart my iMac in order to recover. The same thing would happen in Classic mode on the PowerMac as well. I tried to find some update online but came up empty. I figure the software is so old it would only work on a very old System version (version 5 required System 7.0 or later).

I haven't given up on my 3D quest, I'm downloading the successor to Ray Dream, called Carrara. The latest version should work great with my native OS X Tiger operating system.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

That's a bummer about RDD 4. Good thing you only paid $0.99 for it. Looks like several people experienced the same freezing problem as you. Have you tried deleting the preferences and turning on file sharing?

Let us know how Carrara works for you. It still borrows the same 3d modeling interface as Ray Dream I believe.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home