Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ibusuki Firefly

One of the biggest differences I've noticed between Japan and Southern California are the various types of "wildlife" roaming outside. I've seen lizards crawling on the outside windows, crabs scuttling along the sidewalk, beetles of all shapes, sizes and colors, dragonflies, butterflies and as of last night, a firefly.

As I was locking my school's door, I noticed a green streak of light floating past me. I first thought there was a fire and some glowing embers were being caught in the wind. The firefly landed in front of me so I immediately picked it up and took it upstairs to show Rika. I was really amazed how bright and florescent green they are in real life- nature's version of an LED light. I took pictures of it and released it afterwards, but now I wish I would've kept it as a pet. I wonder if it's possible to have a tank full of these and have my own mini version of the Pirates of the Caribbean bayou scene.

I took a video of it in action which you can see on my Flickr site here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

I didn't realize they had that neon yellow/green glow. Did you accidentally drop it down the sink after playing with it?

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home