Friday, July 31, 2009

Apple Store Visit

So I took Rob's advice and compared the MacBook Pro 13" vs 15" at my local Apple Store yesterday. It appears Apple really improved the screen to match the 15" model. If there was a difference, I sure couldn't tell. Gizmodo (who did a good screenshot review of the last generation) seems to agree with me as well.

For some reason I can't explain, the 15" looks absolutely huge compared to it's smaller sibling. I almost questioned why would someone want something so big when it's supposed to be a portable device. That was until I opened up Final Cut Express on both systems and I instantly saw how cramped the 13" display was. If you are going to work with any sort of video editing package in a remote location, you absolutely have to get the larger model (even the 17" wouldn't be out of the question). For myself I only plan to edit at home connected to my 20" Cinema Display so I'm still going with the 13", once I get final work approval.


I noticed an employee putting new price tags on the 1GB Time Capsules. There were no 500GB boxes on the shelf, but I suspect they removed them earlier that day to make room for the 2GB model (which I saw no stock of).


I also saw one copy of the recently discontinued Shake 4.1. I checked the box out and it had some cool pics of what it could do. I have to admit I'm not very knowledgeable about this product but I would be interested to know why it was dropped from Apple's Pro software lineup, especially after they took the time and money to aquire the company that created it. From what I understand Apple even gave it big price drop during it's last update. If anybody knows the real story please give a shout out.


One of my favorite things to do in the "Store" is to secretly listen to all the side conversations going on. One lady was getting a Personal Training Session on what appeared to be Microsoft Word 2008 (it could have been Pages but I didn't stare long enough). I chuckled as one the Apple staff was asked by another customer what QuickTime was. The employee didn't give a great answer as he said it had something to do with Apple movies, but the customer finally nodded her head with understanding when he explained it was the big blue "Q" icon. Stuff like that is pure gold!

3 Comments:

Blogger Valleyho said...

Let me finally offer my two cents. If work is buying, than go w/ the 13". I think you answered your own question on the screen real estate. My 17" is a lug, I must admit, but when it comes down to Final Cut or Peak, it's a blessing. You also need to be honest with yourself, there are many times I would say "I would use an external display" but with kids and easy convenience I never have used only occasionally. If work would pay for a 15" go for it. I would tire of the small screen if I had to use daily. I guess it all boils down to what are you going to use it for.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Good points you raised Dave. I wanted the smaller model because I'm tired of carrying my Dell 14.1" to and from work every day. It's a boat anchor cause I have to use the heavy and protruding 9-cell battery in order to get any decent battery life, rather than the cheap stock one it came with.

The one bummer about Apple laptops is that their isn't a native docking solution like with my Dell. So that said, I'll have to connect and disconnect to my external display both at work and at home if I want to work in a larger resolution.

I'll have sleep on your comments tonight and think about the optimum screen size again. Darn you!!! If I do go with the larger 15" then it's definitely going to be with the better graphics card which isn't an option with the 13" model. I really don't need except for games, but if I can, why not?

9:07 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Good news, my work finally approved the MacBook Pro but only the 13" model since I had to keep the price below $1500. I'll post a new blog when I actually get my hands on it.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home