Friday, December 14, 2007

I Am Matheson

I've been promising Rob a blog about about one of my favorite storytellers, Richard Matheson. Although he's been writing since the early 1950's, I haven't actually read anything he's written, except for "I am Legend" which Rob recently let me borrow. Most of my exposure has been through the numerous TV shows and movies that were based on his writings.

I've first heard of Matheson over ten years ago when a former coworker kept talking about his works. Although I never heard of his name at the time, it turns out I was well acquainted with his works. He wrote some of the most memorable Twilight Episodes, including "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet"and "Little Girl Lost" among others. He also wrote the stories behind "The Trilogy of Terror", which indeed terrified me when I was kid growing up in the late 70's. Rob, somehow doesn't remember this (perhaps a subconscious attempt to block out the nightmares), but I hope to refresh his memory when I rent the DVD.

His writings have inspired new generations of storytellers, including Steven Spielberg, Stephen King and Chris Carter (creator of the X-Files).

What I find interesting about his stories is how he comes up with the ideas. Many of them stem from real life incidents that actually happened to him. For example, "Little Girl Lost" was based on the fact that his daughter fell off her bed while asleep and rolled against a wall. Although she was crying for help, him and his wife were initially unable to find her. "Dual" was inspired by a real-life experience when he was dangerously tailgated by a trucker that happened the same day John Kennedy was assassinated.

Many of his works have been translated to film, albeit some with mixed success at the box office. The most recent effort being the latest remake of "I Am Legend", staring Will "The Fresh Prince" Smith. I hope it's good because I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend. In 2008 you will be able to see "The Box", which is based on an episode he wrote for "The New Twilight Zone" series named "Button, Button" (I'm not linking the Wiki on this one since it includes a major spoiler).

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Wow, the Richard Matheson superblog! :)

I never got around to writing my "I am Legend" post where I mention the original short story and all the Hollywood adaptations, but I'll comment about it here.

As usual, Wiki has a good article about the book and the three movies based on it. I watched the full length feature of the Last Man on Earth (1964) at this site which happens to be in the public domain now. Not the best film out there but definitely worth a watch if you're interested in the story.

2:46 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Saw it, liked it, probably will buy it...

There were things that could have been better, but it was an entertaining movie for me.

And I should have taken a vacation day for the marathon. I still think TTZ has some of the scariest stuff on film!

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home