Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Logitech Speakers

The next few weeks I'm going to try to catch up on some old blogs I've been meaning to write, hope you don't mind...

Back in 2004 I upgraded my cheap Dell computer speakers with the Logitech Z-5500 Digital Speaker System. It being a true 5.1 system this was intended to be my ultimate surround sound system for gaming on the PC. It served its purpose but I was always miffed I couldn't use the pure digital connections for lack of an optical port on my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 SE (I found out later I could have purchased an external Digital I/O Module that would have allowed me to use the digital output).

After a while I decided to connect it to my Power Mac G5 which featured a native optical out port using a TOSLINK cable. Oh what a difference that made! Now listening to music was crystal clear and playing movies had thunderous bass. The weird thing was that I lost the ability to control the volume using the OS X volume applet but according to Apple this is normal.

This was the first time buying anything from Logitech but now I'm sold, they make awesome equipment. The only negative was the extremely large subwoofer it came with. I have it tucked away under my desk but it still takes up a lot of floor space. If I had to buy again I would probably stick with a smaller 2.1 system as I really don't use the surround speakers as I don't have a good place to position them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home