Saturday, February 20, 2010

GeForce GF100

Ever since I ditched my PC and went to console gaming, I haven't really paid much attention to the latest graphics technology. Apparently Nvidia is going to introduce their next generation GPU, the GF100 this coming Monday.

They already have some information about it on their website so I'm not sure what more they will tell us, perhaps pricing and worldwide availability?

Don't forget to check out their video demo, showcasing what it can do. Personally I'm curious about the real time ray tracing feature. This brings back memories of Rob letting his POV-Ray models render overnight on our 486DX computer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Great catch Mark. This one post made me do a lot of quick reading about the GF100, the Fermi architecture and DirectX 11.

This GPU is quite impressive. Tessellation is a big deal (which I've wrote about before) and would step up the visual quality of games tremendously if developers choose to implement it.

Real-time raytracing on a $200-$600 card sounds like a dream right now. Nvidia's white paper implies a performance hit and recommends a hybrid model or for the raytracing feature to be used in a "gallery mode". Still, I would love to see a demo of this. POV-Ray is still in my blood as I remember the days of forking out extra for the FPU for those "reasonable" render times!

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home