Saturday, March 06, 2010

Aliens versus Predator (1999)

After reading a few days ago that Aliens vs. Predator was released for the PC and consoles, my initial reaction was that somebody decided to remake it? A little further research showed that the same developer, Rebellion, is responsible for this latest release, subtly renaming it "vs." I have fond memories of the "versus" CD-ROM version for the PC/Mac where a gamer had the choice of playing as a Marine, Alien or Predator.

The Aliens/Predator universe is a perfect match for the FPS genre and it was an entertaining title to play- but it had one flaw that bugged the heck out of me. No matter how many aliens I killed, they continuously spawned from an unseen point with no definite end. The way I like to play FPS is to "clean house" and move on to the next level but this game was designed to never let a player do that. I suppose the developers attempted to mimic the mood of the films by feeling overwhelmed and having you run for your life, but I just felt frustrated. Unfortunately this was one of the few titles that I never finished playing.

I did notice that this game has been rereleased on Steam so I might consider giving it another go sometime in the future.

As a comparison here's a screen of the 2010 version. What a difference a decade makes! Have fun playing it Krudd!

4 Comments:

Blogger kruddler said...

Cool! I never played the "versus" version though I always wanted to. I still think the graphics on it look good, though this new one is of course much better looking.

As far as the respawn is concerned, they seemed to have learned from their past mistake and I was able to clean house on each level.

I'm having a ton of fun with the updated AvP! I wasn't actually expecting too much from it only because it is a fps, which is why I started as the prey, humans, first. I loved playing it as a marine! Having a ton of fun as an alien now and can't wait to be a predator!

6:27 AM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Btw, i keep posting from my iPhone, so that is the reason for the lack of pictures. I wrote a previous blog about apps that allow it, but only to my main page which I very very use. I keep hoping they will add the ability to choose for which page I want to post on!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

I remember the graphics on the original being very good, but after comparing them to today's version its like night and day. Look at those old textures, it was like they painted them on a flat surface! LOL

9:27 AM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Yeah I know, but I'm still impressed with the old graphics for some reason. Loving the new and improved visuals, just sayin'.

Also, I meant very very seldom use, not very very use, on my previous comment. Oops!

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home