Saturday, March 29, 2008

HD Movie Playback

After purchasing my Pentium based, single core workstation a few years ago, I was finally able to experience full 1080p video playback from Apple's movie trailer site without any problems. A couple of years later however, one newly posted trailer put an end to that practice.

The trailer that instantly turned my computer into a slideshow was Marie Antoinette. I'm not sure why that particular trailer created such havoc (other HD trailers played at that time were fine), but it did have some highly detailed, fast moving scenes so maybe that and the compression settings used in the encoding process were enough to push my system past the brink.

It wasn't until I tested the same 1080p trailer on my newly purchased dual-core iMac that I was able to confirm what was going on. Apparently it was the age of my system rather than an error on Apple's end -the playback on the Mac is butter smooth. I'm still curious to know how it performs on Mark's G5 although I'm sure it will be fine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

The 1080p trailer ran silky smooth on my G5. After reviewing the material I can only guess it bogged down on your old computer during the initial horse riding scene. There's a lot of motion and camera panning which typically needs a high bit rate to play back smoothly on.

Nice trailer though. I never saw the movie but I like the New Order song Age of Consent that they used.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home