Friday, October 23, 2009

Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

I'm sure everybody knows already that Windows 7 was officially released to the general public yesterday, although enterprise customers have had it for a few months already. I've been using it since the RC days and have to admit its been a solid release, truly much better than the often maligned Vista product.

What's sad is that Microsoft seems to be giving the shaft to Vista Ultimate users. Apparently upgrading from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate will result in all those Ultimate Extras being quietly removed. Wasn't it bad enough Microsoft didn't exactly roll out the red carpet with new features after pushing UE as one of the main reasons for spending $400 dollars on an operating system?

I installed Windows 7 Enterprise Edition on my MacBook Pro using the Boot Camp version that comes with Snow Leopard and I don't seem to have any issues, other than the battery life seems to drain faster and I have no official support from Apple yet. Still though, part of me still feels a little wrong about installing any version of Windows on a Mac but there are a few apps I need to support that are Windows only.

Anyways if you didn't get your free copy of 7 by attending a Microsoft seminar or by applying for the Party Pack, the least expensive way to get a copy is by buying the OEM version.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Very interesting. So Microsoft released an update for Ultimate Extras to quiet the complaints only to release Windows 7 a month later which removes the feature?

I do like the look of Tinker though. They should have just released that as a $9.99 stand alone game.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home