Tuesday, March 09, 2010

They Live

On my way back from Indianapolis last week I caught up on some old NetFlix movies I've been meaning to watch, one being the highly underrated cult film, They Live. How can you not like a film about aliens with skull faces and features one of the greatest fight scenes ever?

In case you haven't seen it, it stars "Rowdy" Roddy Piper from WWF fame and Keith David (famous actor but also voice of the Arbiter in the Halo series) who's part was written specifically for him by director John Carpenter after being impressed with his superb performance in The Thing. They Live is based on a short story called "Eight O'Clock in the Morning" written by Ray Nelson way back in 1963. It's a brief but very entertaining story that I recommend reading.

While watching the movie I couldn't help but think it inspired certain elements of Half Life 2 as well as Duke Nukem 3D. Back in 2008 the film was rumored to have been considered for a remake, but apparently that never happened.

4 Comments:

Blogger kruddler said...

Hah! I loved that movie! And I actually thought Rowdy Roddy did a decent enough job acting in it. I liked him. I may have to check out the iTunes store to see if they have it.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

LOL, they do have it on iTunes! I love the comments!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Great story. I can't believe that was 1963.

Normally I'm opposed to remakes but if Carpenter can redirect with a bigger visual effects budget, I'll be interested.

That image you posted must have came from the studio's still photography department- so clear and colorful!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Yeah most online sites had the same picture but from a grainy DVD copy. In fact I had the old version before I found the "clear" version (found on the internet) and replaced it my blog.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home