Thursday, March 11, 2010

Windows 98

So it all started when I needed a copy of my résumé. Unfortunately for me the only copy I had was on a floppy disk. (Shows you how long I needed to use it!). I scoured all the PC's in my work area and to my surprise I found one machine that still had a floppy disk drive. I was able to recover and was a happy camper. In my search for my résumé I found a bunch of 3 ½ discs as well as old Zip and Jaz discs that got me thinking....what is still on these puppies! I have been without a working PC for quite some time and needed a way to hook up a SCSI card and my old Zip drive.

A co-worker of mine overheard my woes and asked if I wanted her old PC. Sure...why not! She came the next day to work with all the original "cow boxes" with a monitor, external speakers, and all the original software. Of course it was a Gateway and had no idea what kind of specs this thing had. I brought it home and started to unpack this thing. To my surprise this thing was in original "pristine" condition. I mean no crusty old keyboard, fingerprints or dust bunnies in the case. Fired it up and it was good ol' Windows 98! (I laughed...haven't seen this thing in a long time!) So I've been in my basement off and on getting data off these old drives. Found some old gems including MacDrive for Windows98. Installed that and now going through some old Mac OS stuff. So Friday is my "free night"..no kids :)...and I can't wait to install The Seventh Guest and freak myself out in the basement listening to the haunting FatMan tracks! Feeling lonely???

6 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

Ahh Win98, the most stable OS made during the 16/32 bit era. Brings back good memories.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Marcos said...

Also nice score on the Gateway. I always wanted one, primarily because of the Cow boxes. Didn't you have one before?

10:09 AM  
Blogger Valleyho said...

Apple was my first purchase from a computer vendor. Allways put them together before. You are right, playing with this machine does bring back memories. I was going to upgrade it to XP but changed my mind. Want to take a nostalgic look down gaming memory row first.

12:20 PM  
Blogger kruddler said...

Hey, it only seems so long ago! Man I feel old.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Marcos said...

I should probably clarify that it was the most stable "Microsoft" OS during that time. No diss to Apple intended :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger Valleyho said...

Blimey!! It is actually running Windows ME! Who was the genius to strip out DOS support??? This is really taking me back. Remember autoexec.bat and config.sys? Found some bat files on the web to 'fake' DOS in Windows ME. Actually it copied the DOS files off Windows 98. Now I have to find soundblaster drivers for a PCI card....oh the memories...now I know why I liked XP!! ;-) I'm tempted to install my Windows 98 SE CD!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home