Thursday, December 24, 2009

Paranormal Activity Alternate Ending

Mark, Angie and I had discussed Paranormal Activity after I watched a DVD screener in October with the original Screamfest ending. Mark mentioned a rumored third, alternate version that was different from the screener version that I saw and the theatrical version that he saw.

Last week I noticed a version on the intertubes that was labeled "unrated alternate cut" so I had to see what that was about. It turned out in fact, to be the "mythical" third version that was supposedly only screened once in Texas. As you can see from the screens, both versions start out with Katie walking upstairs to the bedroom holding a knife and wearing a blood stained shirt.

The DVD screener version has Katie immediately sit down on the floor and hypnotically rock back and forth for several hours before the police enter the house. The alternate version has Katie close the door and look into the camera before slitting her own throat.

After seeing all three versions I still prefer the original DVD screener ending. According to this interview with the director Oren Peli, multiple endings were filmed and I assumed that all versions would be provided on DVD/Blu-Ray. But according to this article, only the theatrical and uncut alternate ending will be featured and not the original screener version that I first saw. I guess Mark can verify this once he pics up a copy after December 29th.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcos said...

Wow the famous 3rd ending was true. Although I haven't seen it yet, I would think this would be the better ending however after being tainted with the Spielberg version I'll never know for sure. Nonetheless I'm looking forward to watching it this Tuesday.

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home